Saturday, March 28, 2009

Reflections of The Past

I got that old mirror of gramma's in the house, all ready to get painting it my favorite creamy white to match the old dresser of my Hubby's I had just painted...and something began to happen to me. As I was cleaning the years of dust and cob webs from it, something came over me.
This wasn't just and old mirror I wanted to paint that would look so good in my new bedroom... no, this was different. This was my gramma's mirror. Thought's of years gone by started running through my mind.
How many times had she cleaned this mirror the same way I was now?
And I'm sure my Grandpop had his hand in putting it up for her. I could almost picture it in my mind.
How many times did my Aunts primp and fuss in this beautiful old mirror when they were little girls so many years ago?
I'm sure even my dad probably ran a comb through his hair in front of it at some time or another.
Almost 100 years that mirror has been in our family. It was part of my gramma's bedroom suite when she first married in 1917.
So many hands have touched that mirror. Hands of people I loved dearly. My grandparents, my Dad, all of my Aunts...and with the exception of one Aunt, they are all with the Lord now. For me, here, they only live in my heart and in my memories...but somehow they still live in this wonderful old mirror.
I could not bring myself to paint it. I put it up above my freshly painted creamy white dresser and knew it would look gorgeous white...but for now, at least...I will not paint it...it will stay cleaned and polished just as it was many years ago...I will hold on to the past a little bit longer.

5 comments:

  1. What a treasure. I don't think I could paint it either.And congrats on all your weight loss. That is amazing. Most people can't believe that I was 40lbs heavier as well years bac, so I have worn everything from a 6-16/1x. We'll brainstorm those ideas as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI, Jessica, thanks for stopping by to see the corner cabinet process & for your great comments. What a sweet story about your grandma's mirror. Some things just don't need to be painted, so you probaly made the right decision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very proud of how our bedroom came out. The mirror looks good the way it is. I think you're the best decorator ever. I might be prejudice because I'm your husband.
    love, Tommy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is really interesting... Keep posting.... may god bless you !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Come decorate my house please! My walls are calling you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete