Sunday, March 22, 2009

Love & Money

I have to bring up the very depressing subject of budget. Over the past few weeks I started the project of switching rooms around and making myself a home office in one of our spare rooms. My hubby and I talked it over and determined a budget for this project. I was satisfied with the amount , although everyone would like to have an unlimited budget for their decorating and remodeling projects, we all know that's not for us normal folk. I was very inspired by all you wonderful ladies I've been following out here in blogland. You all seem to be able to do so much with so little. I have to say I've learned alot and am proud of what I've done, so far, for so little money. I even thought I was going to get some of my landscaping projects this spring done with some of the money left over in the budget. I saved quite a bit by doing so many clever frugal things decorating my new little "mini-master suite" and office.
I have to confess, my husband takes care of the finances, for the most part and I was just taking him at his word that the budget was there for these projects. He had just paid off a few credit cards we had some balances on(which I knew about) and I thought the budget was money he had left over from that.

BOMBSHELL... I found out yesterday the budget plan is to use the credit cards he just paid off!!!

I have to take some blame here because I should be more involved in the income and outflow of our money. But, I am so depressed to know that we are accruing debt while all the while I thought I was being very thrifty...and what's worse the projects aren't even complete (I thought I'd be done by this weekend but, life gets in the way). Not to mention, what about the gardening projects I thought I was saving for? Aaaarg!! I was so angry at him...and also at myself for not being more involved in the finances!!


In his defense, he claims that we were managing the larger debt OK, and with it paid off the small budget he gave me wouldn't be a problem to pay off easily. That was his reasoning. I don't agree with it...but I know he wants to support me in my love of decorating and doing all these crafty little things I love to do that make our little house a home.


Lessons learned:



1. Discuss project budgets more thouroughly with hubby.


2. Be more involved with the household finances, ALWAYS.


3. Hubby loves me a whole lot...(maybe a little too much)!

2 comments:

  1. HI, Jessica, thanks for stopping by to visit & leaving a note. I'm so glad you did. Awww, I hear you on budget, not a fun thing to sitck too. We've been thru up & downs too with the finances, so I totally understand. There were a couple of years that I couldn't do anything at all around the house. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for stopping by. You can get that extra room done with thrift store, yard sale items.....it may take longer, but you'll have more fun and save money too.

    ReplyDelete