Wednesday, April 8, 2009

You CAN Go Back Home…just “Keep the Faith”

I have these wonderful old neighbors, Mr. & Mrs. Humphrey.  I’ve known them all my life .  They bought their house same as my Mom and Dad did, when our little suburban development was built back in  1950.  Mrs. Humphrey even watched my brother when he was a baby so my mother could go to work. I played with their children growing up. The two boys would tease us girls like all the other boys in the neighborhood did. Their daughter was a year or two older than me but, she was always nice to me, even though I was probably just an annoyance.  I also watched in sorrow when they lost her, their only daughter, to a fatal car crash at the young age of 19.  I would listen in amazement when he would tell me, no matter what happened “You just have to Keep the Faith”.

Well, we all grew up…went our separate ways…college, marriage…etc..  Most families moved on to bigger and better homes and developments, I  married  and moved out of the neighborhood myself.  There were a few that stayed, though.  My parents and the Humphreys were part of that small group.  “Original Owners” they call them. They just saw it as working, paying off their mortgage and achieving that American Dream. 

Somehow though, something brought me back to this little neighborhood I grew up in.  I’m not sure why we bought this crooked tiny little house around the corner from my childhood home.  I know I had dreams of renovating it into my dream cottage.  So much for dreams.  It’s lost tons of weight in old linoleum, cheap paneling and 40 year old carpet.  It’s had it’s electric and plumbing overhauled.  It’s been decorated and redecorated with love many times since we’ve been here but I’ll probably never be able to turn it into what I know it could be.  It’s just not in the budget.  I’ve been sure for some time now that turning this house into my dream cottage was probably not the reason I came back. 

Maybe it’s because the Lord knew my Dad would be leaving us to be with Him only a few years after I moved back.  That gave me some extra special time to spend with him.  Maybe it’s because the Lord knew my Mom couldn’t make it without mine and my husband’s help.  Maybe the Lord knew that today Mrs. Humphrey would be very ill in the hospital and in his hurry to get to see her,  he would lock himself out of his house and come to us for help. He’s known me all my life. He trusts my husband and I.  Maybe these are the reasons I am back here in this little neighborhood full of tiny little old houses with their tiny little rooms. 

So today while my husband and my 17 year old got our ladder and shimmied their way into one of the windows and got Mr. Humphrey’s  door opened, I sat in my tiny little living room and talked with my wonderful old friend for awhile about his wife, about  life and about“Keeping the Faith”.

My Love and Prayers are with you and Mrs. Humphrey tonight, cause you’re what it’s all about.  “Keep the Faith” Mr. Humphrey.

1 comment:

  1. What a moving and loving tribute to old friends, your parents and wonderful old neighborhoods. I know the Lord put you there for a reason, and all that you've experienced is much more precious than any perfect little cottage could ever be. God Bless and thanks for the wonderful post. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete