Monday, April 13, 2009

Window Metamorphosis

Pic_for_Body_of_Blog3[1] (12)

My new office project has come basically to a crawl due to budget constraints.

That’s OK, though.  All good things come to those who wait.

Instead I thought I’d join Susan’s Met Monday@ http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/with one of the projects I have finished in the room.

My first inspiration for the room was the office space of the talented  Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality.  I immediately fell in love with it when I saw it. I must confess, I would’ve loved to copy it down to the last detail, but in the real world that wasn’t practical.  That’s a good thing, really, because now the room is becoming a little more me than just a carbon copy of Rhoda’s (which wouldn’t be a bad thing because I heart her office very much).  So when you see anything in my new office in the future looking a little familiar, you’ll know where you’ve seen them before…over at Southern Hospitality.

One of the things I’ve morphed so far was the window treatment.  

HPIM1087

It’s a very wide but high window and my original thought was a Roman shade with some dummy panels on the side.

Before I found out the unfortunate news that I really had no budget at all, I fell in love with and bought Country Curtains Devon Stripe panels.001 (2)

They were not inexpensive but I love them and I’m not sorry I bought them…I’m basing my color scheme around the colors in the stripe.

HPIM1179 

Check out some of the other elements I have going in the room to coordinate with them.

HPIM1095

Paper I plan to decoupage on the drawer front of my plain white sewing  table.

HPIM1091

Cute little flower arrangement that I got for free from my sister-in-law to hang out with my two of my favorite bunnies.

HPIM1178

Area rug from Ballard Designs, which I absolutely love (also purchased before I found out there was no budget).

But, I digress. Back to the window metamorphosis. I still needed a shade.  At this point I’d been informed of the budget issue and a nice roman shade for an odd sized window like this one can run upwards of $100 or more…that was not in the budget!

I thought of just sheers but I would need quite a few panels and I thought that would be a little to formal for the look I was going for.

Time to think out of the box.  I found a single sheer 84” long panel in a nice ivory for $20…turned it horizontally…found a beautiful 50 yard roll of ribbon at Costco for $6.99…and put together my own little tie up shade for under $30!

P.S. I have lots of plans for the rest of that very pretty ribbon!

003 008

So, from this…

HPIM1087

To this…

007

I’m pretty proud of how it came out and it really looks better in person (I need some digital photography lessons!).

Hoped you all liked my window metamorphosis!  Can’t wait until the whole room is done so I can show you all how it comes out!

Oh, by the way, big hugs to Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality for the original inspiration for my new office.  If you haven’t already (and who hasn’t…she’s so popular) you should check out her blog.  I grabbed her button a while back, so you just need to scroll down a bit to see it and go on over and visit.  You’ll be amazed at how talented she is!

15 comments:

  1. Thinking outside the box!!! I think I like it better than a Roman shade. Anyway, I think we appreciate things more when they don't come easily. BTW--LOVE the rug! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, you're so sweet! I just love your new window treatments, that sheer in the middle is beautiful with the ribbon tie-ups. You're doing a great job & it doesn't look anything like my lime green & black office space, but I'm glad you found some inspiration in mine. Thanks for the shout-out, of course I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks fantastic Jessica, I love the way it turned out. Super great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your doing great and hey i am always working on the low to no budget too. Makes ya think harder! LOL, cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jessica! Oh, your window treatments are so lovely! I love how you thought to turn the sheer sideways! The ribbon is pretty and a great bargain. Now I love the curtains you ordered and I know your office is going to be beautiful!
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks so pretty. When I get that curtain book in the mail I go nuts because they have so many pretty curtains and drapes. What budget?:)
    Good job with the sheers.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful job Jessica! It seems like a whole new room. I love how great curtains can make a room feel so warm. And I love how you compromised with the roman shades. They look just as expensive as the panels! And I am so jealous of your rug from Ballard! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think they look great! I like your thrifty roman shade solution.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The drapes are fabulous. Love the colors, and the rug is wonderful. What a great job you did, the sheers are just perect. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty window treatments, good job!
    Linda Q

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, i love how they turned out!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. That turned out great! I really liked the two treatments you used - very nice! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. nice sheers! thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just gorgeous. Isn't it wonderful when a plan comes together with such lovely results. Just stunning. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete